Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Scout Camp

SCOUT CAMP PART 1

This morning Alex & I headed up to his first Scout camp, with his friend Rhett, and my friend Liz. We were so excited to be going on our first ever Scouting experience to Superhero camp. Alex was in Scout nerd heaven. He loved all the nerdy songs and silly skits, he loved the dirt, he loved the train cars, he loved riding the Batmobile cars, he loved getting his beads at every activity, and he loved the obstacle course, right up until the part where he decided that he was a Superhero, and jumped and broke his arm.

Alex & Rhett










This is the jump that broke his arm



Scout Camp part 2

This is where the fun really begins! The Scouts can hardly compete with the excitement of Firemen, Paramedics, Pain, Ambulances, Xrays, Pain, ER's, Doctors, Nurses, and did I mention PAIN? I actually saw it happen, as I was taking a picture of his dismount from the rope wall, which resulted in him breaking both bones in his Right forearm. He and I both knew it was broken as soon as it happened. His arm folded over in a very unnatural, making me want to pass out cold, kind of a way.

Alex in the Ambulance



Getting some LOVE from daddy



Alex was AMAZING!!!! He never cried once the whole day. Instead of crying he decided to yell at everyone, and let them know very clearly, what he did, and did not want to do, about his broken arm. It was actually quite hysterical, and instead of crying and being upset that my boy had hurt himself, I was laughing at the crazy things he was telling people.

"Just take me home and I will fix it"
"I just hate this camp"
"This arm, the broken one, not the other one, hurts like a mother!"
"I don't want to talk to you, or you, or you." (to the Scout people)
"Could you just hurry and fix it, so I don't miss the bebe guns" (to the firemen)
"This is not fun, I am not having fun!"
"I really don't want to talk about it!!!!!!"
"I don't want your stupid monkey, my arm is broken" (Scouts again)
"mom, am I going to miss lunch?"

In the ambulance he said,
"This is the broken arm, just so you know" (to the guy putting in the IV, who had already been with us for an hour)
"Ooooh, why'd you do that, I have an injury don't you know" (as the IV was going in)
"This driver is not a very good driver. She is making the arm kill worser."

At the hospital he said,
"Dad, don't freak out" (as they were x raying his arm)
"Dad, it's just, it's been a hard day, going to camp, and getting a broken arm."
"Mom, thank you for bringing me to a hospital. I don't think we could of fixed this at home."
"Mom you're the best mom, thank you for getting me a new arm".

Alex - out cold for the Bone realignment



He was so brave and I was so proud of him. He was so kind and thankful to everyone that was helping him (well everyone except the Scouts. But hey they were annoying, and he was in a great deal of pain). The hospital staff was very impressed with the way he dealt with everything. they couldn't believe he was only eight and that he was not crying. Especially once we all saw the xray and saw how bad the break was. They had to put him out so they could move the bones back into position and we are hoping that it will work so he can avoid surgery. He is in a temporary cast until next Wednesday, when they will re-xray everything and hopefully just have to put on a permanent cast.

Needless to say we will always remember our first Scout camp together. Just not for any of the right reasons. Oh and by the way, if your son is going to Scout camp, be sure to teach him First Aid, as all the Scout people were entirely useless, and completely helpless. They just stood around and stared. Thank the heavens for firemen!

Watch the video and see if you would be crying. I know I would of been. :)

4 comments:

  1. OUch!! You have one brave boy there Kristin. I hope this doesn't put too much a cramp on his light saber fighting for too long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin! That brake is so gross- I can't believe that Alex man- he didn't even cry?! I would be crying just seeing a brake like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That totally sucks! I don't know how I have gone 5 years of parenting with no major injuries like this, so not like my luck! That is hard to see your kid in pain like that, I love the comments he made during the whole ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you've had some adventurous weeks!! Love the new blog, and what a cute background!

    ReplyDelete