Saturday, October 11, 2008

407 lbs.

No that's not how much I weigh, (pretty close, but not quite). Today was the Giant Pumpkin weigh off for the state of Utah. My pumpkin taped at 357 lbs. as of this morning, so when they weighed her and the scale read 407 lbs. I was thrilled!

The (what in the He** are we doing up so early on a Saturday) lifting crew, is made up of my hubby, my nephew, and my 3 brothers. This is the one day a year when having no sisters and three brothers, really comes in handy. They all reported that it felt HEAVY as they were carrying it to the trailer.


Loaded up and ready to go!


My little brother Brent and his 2 Giants


Me and my baby


Brent's Pumpkin weighed in at 264 lbs., which was amazing considering he got a late start in pollinating.


Someone had donated some girly stuff for a giveaway, so since I am the only female Giant Pumpkin grower in Utah this year, they had all the girls 8-12, try to guess how much my pumpkin weighed. This cute girl won with a guess of 420 lbs.


"You know you're a REDNECK, if you have a picture of yourself with a prize winning Vegetable" (I'm an official REDNECK, and proud to be one)


People are always asking me what you win for a Giant Pumpkin. Well I was lucky to win a bottle of fish guts, which is what we feed them all summer long.

It's not about the prizes people.

It's all about bragging rights, and the season long joy of watching them grow. Oh and the kids love them as well. But just an FYI, here is what the top 6 won this year.

1st- $700
2nd- $600
3rd- $500
4th- $400
5th- $300
6th- $200

and so on, down to me with the fish guts. Fish guts is kind of like winning the "major award" in the movie "The Christmas Story". No one really appreciates it except for the "major award" winner. I was thrilled to place 20th in the State and win my fish guts.

5 comments:

  1. Kris,
    I'm sorry we missed such a pivotal year in your pumpkin growing career! Ed would've stayed for it, but I was nagging him to get on the road early. Congrats, and save the fish guts for the growing season even though it sounds ever so tempting to polish them off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome!! You mentioned the giant pumpkins at "hairnight" but I wasn't really sure what you meant- that is about the coolest thing I have ever seen...and it just made me smile that you won fish guts! Thanks again for teaching me the yarn extensions! i LOVE them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to represent the female giant pumpkin growers of the world! I'm seriously impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, congratulations on your giant pumpkin!

    Ummm...do you think that the huge caterpillar was dipping into your fish emulsion? An eight inch caterpillar?!? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Kristin! Your pumpkin is beautiful and huge!

    ReplyDelete